I'm not into nudism, but when I can take off a sock or two, I don't hesitate. Therefore, I'm happy to announce a new trend in town. Love it or hate it, but the Birkenstock is back.
Since I got through multiple pairs already, I could be considered an experience expert. Hence, it feels like my mission to show women how to handle this type of orthopedic footwear. The sturdy slipper, also known as the man repeller, can in fact look attractive - or at least interesting - if only you keep the following rules in mind.
- Buy your Birkenstocks in a neutral color, for preference black. They're shaped like Donald Duck's feet, a slimming shade couldn't hurt.
- Don't combine the sandals with wide, long robes. Jesus was never on the Best-Dressed List. Pick a clean and simple silhouette, like a shirt dress or a straight top on a 7/8 skinny.
- Avoid multicolor flower prints, unless you're daily surrounded by blowing hippies who are seeing multicolor flowers anyway. In that case, I can't really help you.
- They might be unisex, but make sure your boyfriend does not wear the same shoes. It's the equivalent of loudly kissing at the movies. People will want to punch you.
- Wash your feet on a regular basis and add some nail polish. You're a lady after all.
Most importantly: keep your head up and show your toes with pride. If a duck can work it, so can you!